Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wednesday: The Best Things in Life Aren't Things- Usually

I often detest cheesy statements: “The best things in life aren’t things”, or “Everyone is everything to someone”. Blargh. That said, allow me one brief moment of hypocrisy to share a few of those small things that bring me real joy in my life. Regardless of how cliché or cheesy they come across.

*When I get up, sick, probably smelly, hair in a rat’s nest and peer into my just waking baby’s face- and she gives me a smile that makes me feel like I am the best thing she has ever seen.

*The look on my husband’s face the Christmas when I told him that I hadn’t qualified for my bonus (I had) and then used that money to surprise him with the big screen LED that he had been secretly hopeful for but knew he wouldn’t get.

*When my friend who lived out of state drove through the night just to take me to lunch on my birthday.

*When I get into bed after my husband has fallen asleep and he, being just slightly startled by me, turns to me, pats my face, says, “I love you”, and is snoring again within 30 seconds.

*When I wake up in the middle of the night to feed my baby and as I pat her back before I lay her back down, I can feel her smile on my shoulder as she falls asleep.

*When I make a recipe that turns out so well, I would pay for it at a restaurant.

*Anytime someone says that my house feels like a ‘home’.

So, yes, it is cheesy. But, I suppose there should be room for a little bit of cheesiness is one’s life, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment